Life Verse Challenge
What it is:
The Life Verse Challenge is an optional yearlong Scripture memorization challenge program here at Trinity Church. Each month there will be a bookmark that has a verse(s) for each week during the month. The challenge is to spend some time in God’s Word each week and memorize it for the glory of God.
Why we memorize:
Some personal responses on the value of memorizing Scripture “Memorizing Scripture has been a great blessing in my life, and has brought me closer to the heart of Jesus… It helps me enjoy God … It takes me deeper in my spiritual walk… I feel God can use memorized Scripture to speak to me in the good times and the hard times… It has been a blessing to memorize together as a family.”
Biblical reasons for memorizing Scripture:
- Memorizing Scripture helps us meditate on the Word day and night, so that we can draw closer to the very heart of Christ. (Psalm 1:2)
- Memorizing Scripture keeps the Word of God abiding in us all the time, and there is power in the Word of God. (John 15:7, Romans 1:16)
- Memorizing Scripture keeps us in tune with eternity. The disciples knew that Jesus had the Word of life. “Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” (John 6:68)
- Memorizing Scripture can deepen our prayer life when we are able to pray the Word. Borrowing words from the Bible and praying them can lead us into a deeper love for God and for others. Having Scripture memorized allows us to pray with “borrowed” words whenever and wherever. (1 Thess. 5:17)
How can we memorize:
- There are many ways to memorize Scripture, and each person learns and memorizes a little differently, here are a few ways:
- Say the verse out loud 10 times by reading it in one sitting – Then, say it 10 more times without looking at it each day for a week.
- Keep the Life Verse bookmark in your pocket and read it multiple times throughout the day for a few days until you can say it from memory.
- Write it out on a piece of paper and say it out loud as you write a few times until you can say it without looking at your paper.
- Memorize the verses together as a family at the dinner table each night.
- If you are in a Bible study – memorize the verses together.